Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Vanilla Ice vs. Bob Dylan

Riding in the car today, I realized that my daughters 2 favorite songs on my Ipod are: IceIce Baby, by the Where Are They Now alum Vanilla Ice and I'll Be Your Baby Tonight by none other than Bob Dylan. I became worried about what harm I am doing to my girls. Is this type of musical hodge podge healthy for their developing psyches? So I decided to take a closer look at the lyrics of each. Here is just a sample of what I have come up with.

Vanilla:

"Something grabs a hold of me tightly,
Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly" and

"To the extreme I rock the mic like a vandal
Light up the stage and wax the chump like a candle." can't leave out

"...other DJ's say Damn, if rhymes were a drug I sell 'em by the gram."

Then there's Bob:

"Shut the lights,
shut the shades,
you don't have to be afraid." and

"The big ole' moon
is gonna shine like a spoon but
were gonna let,
you won't reget it."

Well I must say I think it's a close race. Maybe I haven't screwed them up after all........

2 comments:

Dr. Write said...

First of all, what are you doing with Vanilla Ice on your Ipod in the first place? Just kidding (ice, ice baby!).
I think such a hodge podge is healthy. They'll learn that there is good music by bad people or weird people. or whatever. And that some music you like for no apparent reason. (I'm hearing strains of MMmBop by Hanson. I love Hanson!)

ErinAlice said...

I know but it's a good workout song. One of the Hanson's just got married...whatever! Yea you're right. I'm gonna burn a CD for you of some of my favorite workout songs. They will be great when you run. I have some Run DMC and some P.Diddy....good gracious!!!