Wednesday, October 25, 2006

PhD Phun...

Okay so someone made a comment in my class that really purturbed me so I thought I would get other people's opinions...please share if you have any!! One of my peers was talking about PhD students and said "Yes, we are the best." Now what exactly are we supposed to the "Best"at? ( I know never end a sentence with a preposition so I guess you can rule out best at grammar). Any ideas as to what PhD students/professors are the "best" at or of??? I have a few of my own ideas but I want to hear what you think. I have run into many, shall I say, less than humble professors. So maybe we are best at thinking more of ourselves then we should???

3 comments:

Dr. Write said...

We are best at overestimating our external worth while underestimating our inherent worth. We pretend we are great, because we fear we aren't. Trust me, we're good at that. Maybe the best.

middlebrow said...

We are best at blocking out the "real world," and focusing intently on problems of our own creation. We are also best at going to conferences with other like-minded self-aggrandizing PhDs, where we all sit together and sip cocktails and verbally confirm our bestness.

ErinAlice said...

Great replies! I think I'll save those, just in case.