Sunday, October 07, 2007

Everything I know about life I learned at gymnastics.

While having a discussion with my daughter 'S', I realized that many of the lessons I was trying to teach her are also lessons that are helpful outside the gym. Here are a few:

1) Don't compare yourself to others. Focusing on other people's strengths instead of your own weaknesses will only leave you bitter, not better (I know that's cliche but daughter liked it!!)

2) Attitude is everything. Being mad or bitter won't make the time go by faster so you might as well enjoy what you are doing.

3)Get back up on the beam when you fall. Eventually you won't fall off and you might end up being pretty good at it.

4) Listen to your coaches. They know what they are talking about. Trust their advice and it will help you get better.

I am sure there are more but that's all I have! On a completely different topic: The weather here is fabulous, spectacular, beautiful (insert own adjective here). The high yesterday was 81 and the low was 63. Welcome fall!!

2 comments:

Dr Write said...

I remember gymnastics! Ironically my strongest memories are falling off the uneven parallel bars (after flipping around and whacking my stomach) and the time mom forgot to pick us up, and you were crying, and we ended up talking to the janitor. But eventually she came back. In any case, I mostly remember the pain. But I did love it at the time.

ErinAlice said...

OMG!! I totally did not remember me crying and mom forgetting us. How sad!!I am sure it traumatized me somehow. I loved it too.